Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Inspirational Story

Being overweight has become an epidemic in this country.  It can lead to all kinds of health issues, public scorn, anxiety, stress, depression and suicide.  Read this inspirational story below, be encouraged!



2013-07-22-MelissaHairston.jpg


Name: Melissa Hairston
Age: 29
Height: 5'3"
Before Weight: 300 pounds
How I Gained It: I have always been overweight. As a child, I was always the "fat friend." It was uncomfortable, but as a child I never thought it was a big deal. As a young child, I was molested by someone I thought I could trust. I was always told not to say a word or I would get in trouble. It went on for about a year. With so much pain, I would sit and eat, still hiding what had happened to me for the fear of still getting in trouble. I bottled it in for years. I told close friends in high school but never my family.
One day I was fighting with my mom and I just broke and it came out. I remember telling her it was all her fault I was the way I was. I married my best friend. We had our own house and a growing family, but I still didn't love myself. I still was hung up on everything that had happened to me as a child. I had forgiven my mom by now but not myself. I became a stay-at-home mom in 2008 and it just got worse. I had all the time in the world to sit there and feel sorry for myself and blame myself and that's what I did. I hid every feeling with food, never telling my husband or mom how it had hurt me just to get it out. I didn't care how I looked or what others thought of me. Most didn't know my story, so why should they judge me?
I finally came to terms with the fact that it wasn't my fault. But I still didn't stop eating. I couldn't -- I didn't know how to.
Breaking Point: I started to have health issues in 2010. I lived with the problems for a long time, since we had no insurance. We moved in 2011 and it just kept getting worse. The pain I was in was unbearable at times. A week before Christmas, my husband took me to urgent care. We had to spend $200 that could have been for Christmas. In January 2012, I started looking for health insurance for myself so if I had more problems I would be covered. I went though five different insurance companies and answered all the questions. Every form came back denied due to my weight. I never knew insurance can deny you because of weight. I was so upset, and I now knew I had to do something to change.
How I Lost It: The first thing I did when we got our tax refund back in February 2012 was buy a treadmill. The first thing my husband said is, "I brought this upstairs, it better not become a clothes hanger or a dust collector!" I told him not to worry. We put it together two days later, and I used it the same day. I gave myself a goal of reaching 250 pounds first. I would be happy to see that number again. I started to walk at two miles per hour. I felt like I was going to die. I couldn't even do a mile without losing my breath. I worked myself up every week to a new speed and walking a little longer. I started watching my calories, and the weight started to come off.
A great friend from high school added me to a Facebook group of ladies trying to loss weight just like me. I started with the group at 281 pounds. They introduced me to the app MyFitnessPal. I've been using it ever since. I hit my goal of 250 pounds, but I still wasn't happy. I set a new goal of 180 pounds. I hadn't weighed that since I met my husband in 2002. I hit that goal by December 2012.
I'm able to do things I never could before. I can walk up a hill or the stairs without feeling like I might pass out. I look at food completely differently. Foods I used to like, I don't really care for anymore. Foods I didn't like, I really love now. I eat fruit like crazy. Instead of sitting on the couch eating a whole bag of chips, I pick up an apple and eat that or I workout. I cook healthier meals for my family, and I know they really like it. My husband says I make food that doesn't taste like healthy food. I do more with my kids now, like swimming and running around with them at the park. I feel more comfortable going out with my husband, and I no longer feel like he's ashamed of me.
I think of how far I've come and I know I don't want to be there again. I'm not going to let myself. I'm smaller now then I was in high school, and that blows my mind. I never thought that would happen. I want to be healthy and that's what I am and will continue to be. My husband and the wonderful ladies on Facebook are my biggest support. They push me to do more. I can't thank any of them enough. My journey is not over and I can't wait to finish it and become more confident and happy with myself. My new goal is 140 pounds. I know I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment