Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How does suicide affect families?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

My father committed suicide. He drugged himself and left a twisted recording of it.

I had turned 7 a few months before this happened. I have an older sister by about 4 1/2 yrs, an older brother by 2 yrs and a newborn sister. My older siblings and I were from his first marraige. My brother has a milder form of autism. We had a baby brother who was a year younger than I who died of SIDS in 1992.

Dad blamed my mom for his death. After much neglect and abuse, they separated and later (and strangely) dad gained custody of us (this happened before my little sister was born).

All his life my dad was depressed. He had a lot of mental disabilities. He also had epilepsy. He took 7 pills every 12 hrs. This is how he killed himself.

It effected us badly. No one told my brother and I the truth. They only said he was sleeping and had us 'kiss him goodnight'. Even though he neglected and abused us, we still had a hard time dealing. Then soon after we were put in foster care due to my father's sisters trying to kidnap us...confusing situation. We were all severely depressed. Some even became suicidle. We were all instructed to talk to someone about it all. We were so unhealthy. We wouldn't eat and became so underweight.

It has been 15 years since his death. I still struggle with depression which I'm sure stems from my difficult childhood (obviously I'm not sharing everything). My brother is a mess in general though his autism doesn't help. He can do normal functions but he struggles more than a normal person. Our sister used to hate our mom and blamed her for his death (we can't figure out why but she has admitted to thinking this even to this day). But she seems to be doing fine. My sister and I have become rather clingy to our husbands now that we each have a child. We're scared they will leave. Hopefully not by death. We don't want our children growing up without their family.

I hope this has helped and please, do not feel sorry for me. I've learned to except my childhood though at times I still struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment