Monday, March 24, 2014

Selfie addict' took 200 pics a day, attempted suicide when he couldn't get 'perfect' photo

19-year-old Danny Bowman was so obsessed with selfies that he dropped out of school because he kept trying to take the perfect picture. Sometimes spending as many as 10 hours a day on his quest, Bowman tried to kill himself by overdosing, but was saved by his mother, who took him to a psychiatrist that diagnosed him with body dysmorphic disorder. He continues his road to recovery.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, March 23, 2014, 1:22 PM

 

A British male teenager tried to commit suicide after he failed to take the perfect selfie.
Danny Bowman became so obsessed with capturing the perfect shot that he spent 10 hours a day taking up to 200 selfies.
The 19-year-old lost nearly 30 pounds, dropped out of school and did not leave the house for six months in his quest to get the right picture. He would take 10 pictures immediately after waking up.
He has been dubbed Britain's first selfie addict.
Frustrated at his attempts to take the one image he wanted, Bowman eventually tried to take his own life by overdosing, but was saved by his mom.
"I was constantly in search of taking the perfect selfie and when I realized I couldn't, I wanted to die. I lost my friends, my education, my health and almost my life," he told The Mirror.
He first started posting selfies on Facebook at age 15.
After receiving online comments about his face, he became obsessed with looking perfect.
He has now been weaned off his iPhone addiction.
Dr. David Veal, the psychiatrist whose clinic treated the teenager, said the issue was not one of vanity, but a "mental health one," as Bowman suffered from body dysmorphic disorder.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment