Friday, November 27, 2015

Anchored through Deep Waters

Tears.

Depression is an emotional illness that will cause emotional responses. Our world seems to think depression is just a weak man’s problem. The truth is that depression takes over even the strongest people. I know that right now, as your reading, you still doubt that healing will ever come, but you have to hold on. It is imperative that you do not stuff all of our emotions all the time. I often say that I cry three times a year. I just have never really been a crier…well that was until I went through depression. The stress of hiding your emotion will only drive you deeper into the valley. You probably already feel like you could explode from the inside out so don’t add unnecessary pressure of emotions that need to be let out. I am not saying to just cry and mope around, but rather, when you feel like you just need to cry or scream- do it. Crying is not a sign of weakness, but rather a necessary response to the turmoil that is binding you.

I often create a mental picture of how children run to their mom or dad and cry when they are hurt or afraid. Though the parents hate seeing their kids scared or hurting, they take pride in the fact that they make the situations better. The same is with our heavenly Father. He loves when you run to Him in any situation and just let it out. I can’t tell you how many times I would lie in my bed and weep. I didn’t lay there in my sorrows, but rather was just crying to God. It may have not solved all my problems or healed my depression instantly, but it was my response to God with my depression in a biblical way. Yes- biblical response.
Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28
(He is asking…He is telling you to come to Him.)
Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy.
Psalm 126:5 (NLT)
(Everything you do now will shape what happens later- be intentional even in the valley.)
Paul went through many hardships in His journey serving the Lord. He claims that he served the Lord with tears. We can do the same for a season. You are tried and tested, but hold on to Jesus. Take the time to be real with your emotions to God and a trustworthy person in your life today. You tears don’t make you weak, but rather show the strength of your trust in God’s Word.

Acts 20:19
19I served the Lord with great humility and with tears and in the midst of severe testing by the plots of my Jewish opponents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment